Food Science and Nutrition
About the department
Food Science and Nutrition focuses on the interface between Human Nutrition and Food Science as well as an integration of the two disciplines and in this course and it is concerned with the field of science with the main emphasis is given to food, nutrition, diet and their production and management
CMS a pioneer institution in Coimbatore under Bharathiyar University initiated the Bachelor of Science course in Food Science and Nutrition undergraduates since 2019, It is designed to meet the increasing demand for nutrition scientists who in addition have a thorough knowledge of Food Science and Technology with respect to food processing, preservation, storage, quality assurance, and nutritional implication.The curriculum syllabi are reviewed constantly to suit the needs of the industry. The Department was equipped with high end laboratory with fast-track equipment’s. Within the course duration period the students were enhanced by offering Food industrial trainings and Dietary Internship training to enhance their practical knowledge and employment opportunities.
Methodology of Teaching / Teaching Process
- Small group instruction classroom teaching method
- Providing Industrial and Hospital visit
- Project-Based Learning Method
- Laboratory-based practical
- Online learning and Seminars along with Teacher-cantered classroom instruction method
- To facilitate experiential learning, students are taken on the industrial visits to the food industry such as,
- Dairy industry
- Spice based industry
- Fruit and vegetable processing industry
- Bakery industry etc.,
- Diet and Nutritional counselling rendered for CMS
- Offering Food Safety training programs to the department students.
K. L. Gowrishankar
B Pradeep Kumar Asst. Professor
BM Ashok Menon Asst. Professor
Internship Trainings in Food Industry and Hospital Dietary Department were mandatory to the students in completion of their course.